News Flash Home
The original item was published from 4/27/2023 4:16:00 PM to 5/27/2023 9:05:01 AM.

News Flash


Posted on: April 27, 2023

[ARCHIVED] 13-year-old finds a way to honor fallen officers

A picture of Anya Holmquist on the left standing in front of a Hometown Hero banner that she arrange

When 13-year-old Anya Holmquist got the idea to honor the three Faribault Police Officers who have died in the line of duty, she didn't have to go far to find help raising money. 

Thanks to the Faribault Police Benefit Association, a benevolent association made up of sworn law enforcement officers serving the Faribault Police Department, she was quickly able to get all three officers - Officer Henry Kaepernick, Chief David Shipley and Officer Louis Joachim - on the Hometown Heroes banners that are on display throughout Faribault. 

Hometown Heroes is a national program which honors veterans and first responders by hanging banners throughout town. The Faribault Hometown Heroes was started by Virginia van Sluis, of the Faribault Elks, and assisted by Deb Petersen, Commander of the Faribault Chapter of Disable American Veterans (DAV.). Banners can be purchased for $180.00 each and are tax deductible. The batches of banners will be displayed from Veterans Day until Memorial Day, and from Memorial Day until Veterans Day.

You can learn more about the program by visiting

Find below the the stories of the three Faribault officers who died in the line of duty, as written in Fran Miller’s Book, "Knights in Shining Blue Surge," that was published in 2009. And remember, May 14 - 20 is National Police Week. 

Officer Henry Kaepernick, End of Watch October 3, 1876

On the morning of Sept. 7, 1876, The James Brothers, the Younger Brothers along with others, attempted to rob the 1st National Bank in Northfield. The attempt was not successful although the James Brothers did escape, others were either killed or captured.  The Younger Brothers were put in jail in Faribault.  Rumors started that the James gang may try to rescue their confederates so additional armed guards were hired and stationed with two guards inside and two outside. Police Chief Dunham issued direct orders to halt anyone who attempts to approach the jail. 

 On Tuesday morning at 4 a.m., Frank Glazier, the night watchman who was on his first night on the job, saw a person come into the jail yard. When ordered to stop, the stranger continued to advance and responded “don’t you know me, I am the city police.”  At the same time he reached inside his jacket. Glazier, who had not heard him, thought he was reaching for a revolver so the watchman raised his rifle and fired, killing him instantly. 

The resulting investigation revealed that the man killed was Officer Henry Kaepernick, who was part of the night watch. His star was covered by the lapel on his coat and he was apparently moving his hand up to unbutton the lapel and show his star. Unfortunately, Mr. Glazier mistook the motion as an attempt to draw a weapon. 

Chief David Shipley, End of Watch January 8, 1883

On Jan. 2, 1883, Chief Shipley was contacted by the wife of Lewis M Sage. She was having trouble with her husband. Mr. Sage had been threatening to shoot her. She sent a boy down to ask Chief Shipley to come up and arrest Sage. Chief Shipley was unable to go right away as he was engaged in a trial. Subsequently, Fred Kiekenapp came to the Chief and informed him that Sage had just purchased a revolver in Bloxam’s gun shop and had gone home to shoot his wife.  Chief Shipley overtook Sage and told him to give him the revolver but Sage refused.  As Chief Shipley tried to arrest him, Sage resisted and the Chief asked Thomas Leary to assist him. Leary took hold of Sage’s right arm which was thrust into his overcoat pocket where Sage had the revolver. Meanwhile, Chief Shipley has a hold of his left arm and is trying to handcuff him. In the struggle, the Chief hit Sage a blow with his billy club upon the neck when the latter drew the revolver, a Smith and Wesson, five-shooter, caliber 32 and the gun went off, hitting the Chief.  

Sage sprang away and the two exchanged shots but he escaped. Chief Shipley then went to his home where he was treated by Dr. Rose, who happened to witness the shooting. Dr. Nelson assisted him and found the ball had struck the left hip bone inflicting a painful but not mortal wound. The first rumors spread that the Chief was mortally wounded and townspeople threatened to take matters into their own hands. Mayor Pratt sent out dispatches warning officers in other parts of the state to be on watch for Sage. Others were sent to watch the railroad stations. A detachment of Faribault Guards under the command of Sergeant E C Clemans went to Sage’s house to search it. Finding nothing they searched the barn. The lower part showed nothing so they went up to the hay mow. A suspicious mound of hay attracted their attention and upon running a fork into it, an exclamation was heard and Sage crawled out and surrendered at once. He was promptly taken to jail and turned over to Sheriff Barton. In the meantime, first reports of Chief Shipley indicated his wounds were not serious but a few days later on Jan. 8, 1883 he died at the age of 49.  Chief Shipley is buried at Oak Ridge Cemetery.

Officer Louis Joachim, End of Watch May 6, 1895 

Officer Louis Joachim had served on the police force for several years when on March 5, 1895, he caught a dog by the collar to have it killed. The dog had been snapping at people and biting other dogs. While transferring his hold from one hand to the other, the dog bit Officer Joachim quite severely. During the week, Officer Joachim began feeling discomfort in the chest and pains in the arm and shoulder. Drs. Land and Cool called to see him and found all the symptoms of Hydrophobia or rabies. Finally, after suffering for two months, he died a painful death on May 6, 1895.  As per the Faribault Republican, “Louis Joachim was very faithful and efficient officer, one of the best that the City has ever had.”

Facebook Twitter Email